At Karabar High School we encourage students to think about their career as the sequence and variety of paid and unpaid jobs throughout their life.
Careers at Karabar High School provides students with opportunities to develop their knowledge and a contemporary understanding of the world of work, the diverse roles and sectors within the community, and the roles of education, employment and training systems.
Our students today are likely to have five or six career changes and maybe up to 15 changes in employment in their life. Changes may include moving from part-time to full-time work, balancing work and study, and changing employers.
The Careers Advisor oversees careers education and advice - focusing on the principles and processes involved in having successful careers.
Students are encouraged to develop a pathway that will include actions they may undertake to assist them to achieve their career goals. Students will finalise their Career Action Plans after exploring education and personal skill requirements for each of their selected careers.
To ensure each student has the opportunity to learn, mature and reach their potential we have:
- individual career counselling
- opportunities to attend industry excursions to explore future career options
- organised White Card, Asbestos Awareness, First Aid and RSA courses
- resume preparation workshops
- university campus familiarisation tours
- subject selection interviews
- work experience
- mock job interviews
- guest speakers
- VET courses
- assistance with applications (UAC, TAFE and scholarships)
- the wealth of incoming career Information dispersed via the Karabar Careers Google Classroom (code lh2cfdg)
To support students in learning how to manage their ‘career journey’ by knowing how to access and use relevant career information independently, and how to access services, we provide:
- JobJump (KHS careers website)
- The Australian Blueprint for Career Development
Students and parents are welcome to contact the Careers Advisor directly via phone on 6298 4327 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or to make an appointment.